The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Proposal Specialist to join its Program Development team. In coordination with the Director of Program Development, the Proposal Specialist identifies and monitors opportunities released by international donor agencies, drafts segments of the proposals and annexes, coordinates proposal activities with regional teams, and submits proposals on behalf of NDI through the competitive bid process. This role also conducts background research in advance of specific proposal opportunities, researches competitors and identifies possible partners, drafts internal memos regarding new funding areas or strategic opportunities, and tracks donor trends and opportunities. This position does not have direct reports. There is no regular international travel associated with this role however depending on the proposal needs there could be an opportunity. The deadline for submitting your application is March 12, 2019.
* Organize and coordinate NDI's proposal processes with direction and guidance from Director of Program Development and other Senior Leaders on the Regional Teams * Supports regional teams during proposal activities (based on donor requirements) including creating proposal calendars, tracking all relevant document statuses, finalizing and packaging all proposal documents and components, submitting all NDI's competitive proposals through online portals or via email ensuring all components are completed on time * Facilitates logistical aspects during bid/no bid decision stage with key stakeholders, provide guidance to regional teams during proposal team writing assignments ensuring on time submissions and coordinates review processes for execution
Drafting proposals materials
* Draft sections of proposals including logical frameworks, institutional capacity summaries, management plans, key personnel CVs and biographies, gender analyses, and others areas that are determined as a necessary component from the proposal requirements * Contribute to the drafting of theories of change, activity language, risk assessments, monitoring and evaluation plans, and strategic approaches
Strategic Research and Planning
* Dependent on the proposal and in cases, in conjunction with regional teams, conduct capture planning research including in-country assessment missions to build local partnerships, administer political assessments, and develop strategic plans for program design and implementation * Conduct desk research on ongoing programs, potential competitors, and NDI strengths and weaknesses in order to position NDI for successful proposal efforts * In collaboration with other teams, identify potential opportunities and as well as targeted once a proposal has been identified * Research and author internal memos on new strategic initiatives for NDI to inform institutional priorities and new business targets Monitor all donor funding opportunities including USAID, US State Department, non-US government donors, multilateral organizations such as the UN, and private foundations for funding opportunities relevant to NDI * Draft summaries and share opportunities internally with NDI's relevant regional and functional teams to facilitate informed bid/no bid decisions
* Bachelor's degree required * A minimum of 4 years relevant experience with handling proposal activities, writing segments of proposals or annexes, liaising and coordinating activities with multiple stakeholders in deadline driven environments * Experience working with international donors and funding mechanisms * Experience in proposal development with strong writing capabilities and high level of attention to details * Experience with contributing to project planning, design, and development using strategic and creative skills * Demonstrated experience using well developed interpersonal communications skills, including team-building, listening, negotiating and collaborative-problem solving techniques * Demonstrated experience initiating, organizing, and prioritizing tasks and activities with mindfulness to deadlines and producing a high quality end result
There are times were extended work hours are required, which including evening and weekends, to meet proposal deadlines.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.